Candidate for General Secretary Technology, Gymkhana
DEPARTMENT: Civil Engineering
HALL: Azad Hall of Residence
Proposal - 1
I propose to increase the involvement of Postgraduates/Research Scholars students in the
various activities conducted by Technology Students’ Gymkhana as well as various research
groups that come under Sponsored Research & Industrial Consultancy Department, IIT Kharagpur.
1. Including Postgraduate/Research Scholar students in the technical team of the various
2. Introducing a position of Postgraduate/Research Scholar Representative for the societies
that come under the purview of General Secretary Technology, Technology Students’
1. Improving the quality of research projects that come under the Sponsored Research and
Industrial Consultancy by ensuring active and prominent involvement of Postgraduate/Research
Scholar Students who are technically more skilled in the respective fields.
- 2. To ensure active participation of the Postgraduate/Research Scholar students as well as the
enhancement in the quality of the various extra curricular activities that come under the
Technology Students’ Gymkhana by ensuring the proper circulation of information amongst
Role of Postgraduate/Research Scholar Representative:
1. The post holder will be the main point of contact between the respective society and the
Postgraduate/Research Scholar community.
2. They will be an active member responsible to intensify the content quality of the events apart
from the managerial front.
3. Postgraduate/Research Scholar Representative shall be responsible to ensure an active
participation of the students from the respective communities in the various events conducted
by the respective societies.
- Benefits from Involvement of Postgraduate/Research Scholar students in research:
1. Postgraduate/Research Scholar students are considered to have excellent technical knowledge
and skills which, if applied into the respective research projects, will yield better results.
2. With the increase in Postgraduate/Research Scholar participation in the research projects, the
technology output of IIT Kharagpur will increase further helping us improving global university
3. Due to improvement in quality of research projects, teams from IIT Kharagpur will be able to
compete well in the various international competitions increasing the chances of bringing in
laurels and awards for IIT Kharagpur.
- Benefits by introducing post of PG/RS Representatives for societies:
1. This post will ensure the proper dissipation of information amongst the Postgraduate/Research
Scholar community regarding any event conducted by the respective society.
2. This will also fortify quality of the events due to technical superiority of the
Postgraduate/Research Scholar students and will also ensure quality participation in the event.
Selection Criteria: A proper selection procedure will take place for the research groups and societies in
concern with the professor in-charges and the Rector nominees’ of Technology respectively. Also it will
be ensured that the proper information regarding the selection procedure is circulated amongst the
When: The selection for the Postgraduate/Research Scholar Representatives will be done in the month
of August; though the notice regarding the selections should be released at least two weeks prior to the
date of selections. The selections for the research groups will be scheduled after speaking to the
respective professors in-charge.
Proposal - 2
I propose to protect the novel intellectual property in the product design and hardware modelling
competitions of the Technology General Championship by the promotion of Provisional patents
and Patents among the student community.
1. To ensure the novelty of different innovative ideas that are a result of the work done by the
2. To take forward the hard work done by participants and explore possibilities in the social,
environmental or medical sectors.
3. To encourage innovation in the models from participants which will enhance the probability of
obtaining patent rights.
4. To provide recognition to the hard work and the ideas done by the participants in the course of
When: The participating teams will be told about the proposal, and the procedure can be initiated as
soon as the participating gives the approval regarding the same.
By Whom: The matter will be handled by the General Secretary Technology, Technology Students’
Gymkhana. All the required documents will be collected by the General Secretary Technology and will
be forwarded to the Technology Transfer Group for the same. The General Secretary Technology along
with the Technology Transfer Group will be signing a non-disclosure agreement before the collection of
necessary documents. Also the General Secretary shall be the link between the Institute administration
and the participating team and will ensure the smoothness of the process.
1. The novelty should be appreciated and recognised and this proposal will definitely contribute
towards both of them.
2. Instead of the current scenario where the efforts and ideas of the participants are restricted to
the competition itself, the proposal through the patent process, aims to bring this to lime light
which in turn will encourage the quality participation in these events.
3. The project development will not be restricted to the competition itself. This initiative will carry
forward the project work even after the students graduate and, in long term, will drastically
increase the chances of inventing a revolutionary technology.
4. Patents are internationally recognised and are perceived with huge possible application in
various fronts which will not only provide recognition and funding to the inventors but to the
institute as well.
Proposal - 3
Proposal to provide medals along with the certificates to the team members of various events of
Technology General Championship.
Vision: To encourage the students participants towards the technology general championship by
felicitating them with a medal along with the certificates.
Nomination Criteria: The team members of the podium holder hall of residence shall be the receiver of
When: The specified number of medals in accordance to event shall be handed over to the podium
holder Hall of Residence.
By Whom: The specified number of medals in accordance to the event shall be handed over by the
administration of the Gymkhana to the podium finishers.
Benefits: The vision of the proposal is to provide recognition to the podium holder’s team members in
the form of medallions along the certificates already provided to them. This will enhance the perception
of the students towards the Technology General Championship.
Total number of medals required per standing: 20*7 + 4*3 = 152
Total Gold Medals Required: 152
Total Silver Medals Required: 152
Total Bronze Medals Required: 152
Cost of each medal: INR 33
Overall cost: INR 33*152*3 = INR 15,048
**Reference - Mr. Soumen Mondal (Sports Officer Incharge, Technology Students’ Gymkhana)